Hear the corn grow
PATHWAY TO HIS PRESENCE
Hearing corn grow? For real?
I thought it was a myth or some old wives’ tale. So, I went to a video on the Internet and actually heard the corn growing. Like soft lightning or better yet, like a continuous crackle. Fascinating!
So what does it sound like? Interestingly enough, it sounds remarkably similar to the sounds made when corn breaks. It seems that plant growth involves millions of tiny breakage events. These breakage events trigger the plant to rush to ‘repair’ the broken regions. As the plant continues breaking and repairing, the plant is able to grow taller and taller.
Researchers think the crackling noises occur because of tiny fractures from the corn plant stretching, breaking, and growing. Fascinating!
Truth is, spiritually, you and I have more in common with the corn than we knew. How, you ask?
- We grow in Christ through many kinds of breaking.
- These breakings trigger our spirits to rush to repair all that is broken in us. Christ reaches down to us, and we are bathed in His healing power.
- Through life events that often are unfair and hurtful, Christ stretches us as we move through pain and into deeper growth in Him.
- We have tiny fractures and large fractures in our hearts and in our bodies as we stretch, break, and grow.
- We grow taller and taller spiritually as we break and allow Christ to help us.
The Rev. B.J. Funk is associate pastor of Central UMC in Fitzgerald. Email Rev. Funk at email@example.com.